Sunday, June 21, 2009

Josh's trip to the E.R.!!!!!!

Josh had his first trip to the e.r., at least since we've been married. The night after we got back from Lake Powell, Josh went to play on his softball league. I was still busy unpacking from our trip so I decided to stay home with the kids. Thank goodness!! Josh had only been playing for about a half an hour when my nice neighbor and him came walking through the door while I was cleaning the kitchen. He was covered in dirt and blood, holding a fellow players shirt full of ice up to his mouth. My friend Kristi, is a nurse, and she brought him home and said, "You need to take Josh to the e.r. right now, he's been hit in the face with a softball and b.t.w. here's one of his teeth." She told me to put it in milk in case the doctor's could save it. CRAZY!!! I was freaking out inside, but held it together for Josh and my kids. Kristi took my kids to her house, bless you!!!! And Josh and I headed to the e.r. He volunteered to be the pitcher that night, which isn't usually his position. The usual pitcher didn't show. With softball, you stand a lot closer to the batter and when Josh pitched that specific time the ball came so hard and fast he didn't have enough time to get his glove up. He took a line drive strait to the mouth, which immediately knocked him clean out. When he came to, he said his first words out of his mouth were, "my wife's gonna kill me." Makes me sound very caring and loving, I know!

Here's a picture of him right after we checked into the e.r............
Basically he looked like he was wearing those silly hillbilly teeth at Halloween. His lower teeth and jaw were way shoved back into his mouth, his bottom teeth had gone all the way through his lower lip. He had lossed a tooth. And later that night after x-rays and cat scans we found out he had fractured both sinus cavities, cracked many teeth, top two front teeth were dead and the tooth he lossed was not salvageable. It was just one piece of great news after another. But I kept telling myself , I guess it could have been worse and THANK GOODNESS for INSURANCE!!!

That night at the e.r. he recieved stitches in his lower lip and also needed many stitches on the insides of his lip. He has a huge knot in his lower lip which is still there, who knows when that's going to go away??? Then the next morning, bright and early we headed to the oral surgeon for his first surgery(Thanks mom for watching the kids.) The oral surgeon pulled his teeth back into position and wired them all up to hold them together. Then he also did an implant with a temporary crown. Here are his pictures after the surgery. Thank goodness for oral surgeons!!!!




Definitely an improvement from the day before.

Josh you have been a trooper!!! He is definitely not out of the woods yet, but we are getting there. Since his surgery, he has had two root canals and has 2-4 more left to go. He has cracked 6 teeth on top and 4 on bottom which means he will be getting veneers. The good news is in the end he will have a Hollywood smile!!! I'm a little jealous of that.:) Love you hun. Even in the e.r., you still looked super hot to me.
Thank you to all our friends and family, who watched our kids, came to the hospital, made phone calls to see how we were doing, brought meals, kept us in their prayers and were just there for us. It's times like these when those who care the most come out of the wood works and show their love and it means sooooo much! Thank you!








4 comments:

Ali said...

OH MY GOSH! That looks like it has been very painful. Wow, I had no idea a softball could do so much damage. I'm glad he is doing better and hope he continues to heal!

Jessie's Jargon said...

Whoa. Those picture don't even look like Josh! Scary. I don't deal well with blood... It makes me queezy...

I'm excited to see you and Callie this Saturday! ;)

The Fletchers said...

Wow! I'm so sorry. Yes, thank you for good dental doctors and insurance that's for sure!

Jaime And Kalen said...

I still can't believe what a freak accident that was! And, what an ordeal it has become with each doctors visit. Thank goodness for insurance, jello, and a good wife to take care of him!