Thursday, September 10, 2009

Labor Day Weekend in Flaming Gorge

Every year we spend Labor Day Weekend in Flaming Gorge. It is a Stephens' family tradition. We stay in Josh's aunt and uncle's cabin in Manila, Ut. I've been going to the cabin with Josh since before we were married and he has been going his whole life. It is a fun, yet quiet and relaxing place. We always watch the Manila Labor Day parade on Saturday morning, the kids have a lot of fun collecting candy. This year after the parade the adults and some of the grandchildren took a raft down the Green River. I didn't get any pictures of that, but it was a lot of fun. We always end the fun day, watching the lit up boat parade and fireworks. Their fireworks are always amazing. On Sunday we go to the local park and bbq chicken and steaks and have a picnic outside. Grandma and grandpa are so good to bring lots of fun games and activities for the kids to do at the park too. We also played games, and watched movies, it was yet again another fun Labor Day weekend.





The kiddos getting their bags ready for the candy.



Mitch, Emily and Lola






Grandma with Colton and Liv










Jaime, Kalen and Wynter








Bob, Jackie and Craig





Joel and Nicole









Colton and Keaton



Grandma and Livy






Livy enjoying a sucker!



Smokey the Bear was in the parade.





























3 comments:

Whitney and Family said...

I'm glad to see you're just posting about Labor Day. I haven't even taken the pictures off my camera since then, so I'm so far behind it's overwhelming! I took about 2 million pictures that weekend. Maybe by next year they'll make it to the blog...
It's always a fun weekend, and this year was no different!

Jaime And Kalen said...

Marissa, you are a little behind in your bloggin, but not as far behind as Whitney :)! Regardless, I am happy to see pictures from the labor day weekend, since I was not smart enough to bring a camera. As always, what a great time that was!

Quin Stephens said...

I feel the need to correct you. Just like you are not Marissa the Stephens, he is not Smokey the Bear. He is Smokey Bear. Below is a quote from www.smokeybear.com (as if the website title isn't enough proof).

"Smokey Bear was born on August 9, 1944, when the U.S. Forest Service and the Ad Council agreed that a fictional bear named Smokey would be the symbol for their joint effort to promote forest fire prevention.

Artist Albert Staehle was asked to paint the first poster of Smokey Bear. It depicted a bear pouring a bucket of water on a campfire and saying “Care will prevent 9 out of 10 fires.” Smokey Bear soon became very popular as his image appeared on a variety of forest fire prevention materials. In 1947, his slogan became the familiar “Only YOU Can Prevent Forest Fires!”

Then in the spring of 1950, in the Capitan Mountains of New Mexico, a young bear cub found himself caught in a burning forest. He took refuge in a tree, and while managing to stay alive was left badly burned. The firefighters who retrieved him were so moved by his bravery, they named him Smokey.

News about this real bear named Smokey spread across the Nation, and he was soon given a new home at the National Zoo in Washington, D.C. The living symbol of Smokey Bear, he played an important role in spreading messages of wildfire prevention and forest conservation. Smokey died in 1976 and was returned to Capitan, New Mexico, where he is buried in the State Historical Park.

In 2009, the Smokey campaign celebrates its 65th anniversary!"

I hope this helps you avoid any future embarassment in your life.

Quin the Stephens